What is it?
Candida Albicans is a yeast ( in the fungus family) that lives in our intestinal tract and other tissues. When there is an overgrowth of Candida it becomes pathogenic. ” Candida” is a systemic condition that was first identified in 1940’s after penicillin was discovered. Our friendly bacteria referred to as probiotics (good flora or acidophilus) inhibits Candida from multiplying. When our friendly flora decline due to the use of antibiotics, steroids, contraception, stress, or a diet high in sugars and simple carbohydrates than our body is becoming a great host for candida to cause a decline in our health. The above mentioned conditions contribute to the death of our good bacteria. Candida secretes extremely poisonous chemicals in our bodies such as alcohol and acetaldehyde, and can cause or contribute to a wide range of health conditions. Some of these include acid reflux, gas, bloating, sensitivities to food, sinusitis, poor immune function, weight gain, diarrhea, fatigue, eczema and the more obvious ones such as thrush, vaginitis.
Why is intestinal candida overgrowth more of a problem today?
1. The high amount of sugars and carbohydrates in the diet. Many people consume far too much wheat, sugar, fruit, juices, and starches that “feed the yeast” in the intestines because these foods have a high glycemic index. This means that the amount of sugar in the blood stream increases after eating these foods. In other words, these foods tend to break down or contain sugars, that are the natural food for intestinal yeasts.
2. Antibiotics. This class of drugs favor yeast overgrowth and are massively overprescribed for many conditions from acne to colds and flus. Residues of antibiotics are also found today in drinking water supplies, and in our food supply ( such as meat that comes from factories that feed the animals medicated feed).
3. The use of anta-acids tend to increase the overgrowth of Candida because it reduces the acidity of the stomach. Acidity in the stomach inhibits the growth of pathogenic microbes (bacteria, fungus, viruses).
3. Copper toxicity. This also favors yeast overgrowth and is extremely common.
4. Mercury toxicity. Evidence exists that the some yeasts may overgrow to actually protect the body from mercury poisoning. Candida binds onto mercury causing the immune system to not recognize the mercury or the candida.
5. A weak and/or toxic or congested liver. This favors yeast overgrowth because liver problems cause reduced bile secretion, and other abnormalities. Bile, specifically, helps control many harmful microorganisms in the intestines. Diets high in sugar ( including alcohol, fruit, wheat) and a history of exposure to chemicals or medications weakened the liver.
6. An extremely yin condition of the body. A more yin quality of the body favours yeast growth. This is also very common today, especially among those who eat diets high sugars and fruit. Many yeast infections tend to be “cold” or yin conditions. They do not tend to produce high fevers, for example, and are more associated with fermentation and rotting of dead material or flesh, which tends to be cold, or colder than healthy flesh which is attacked more by certain bacteria and viruses.
7. Mineral deficiencies. Among the most important of these are zinc and selenium. However, today the food supply tends to be low in dozens of critical trace and ultra-trace minerals. Eating refined foods of any kind almost guarantees that a person will be seriously mineral-deficient. These minerals are essential to having a proper functioning immune system as well.
8. Vitamin deficiencies. The more stress, the more refined carbohydrates ( such as wheat, cow’s milk, sugar, alcohol) we consume the higher our demands for certain vitamins especially B’s. B vitamins are necessary for a strong liver that is able to handle its basic roles like breaking down hormones, sugars, alcohol and not to mention medications, stress, breathing in the air of today:).
As you can see there are many factors to the growth of Candida. The good news is that it is treatable and by treating Candida your whole body will benefit from lowered cholesterol, lowered blood pressure, better sleep, better energy, less infections, better digestion and more! For a specific protocol and to diagnose Candida email or call us for an appointment or a health provider that is knowledgable in this condition.