Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Preheat oven to 350°F
6-8 apples (peeled, cored, and chopped)
¼ to ½ cup apple, orange, or lemon juice
½ cup brown rice syrup
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup honey or maple syrup
½ cup spelt flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
½ tsp powdered ginger
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Peel, core and chop apples into ½ cm pieces and mix with juice and maple syrup. (NOTE: If substitutiing rhubarb you must chop into 1 cm pieces and precook over stove with apple and juice until it becomes a purée. Then add the maple syrup to taste. You may need to add more depending on the tartness of the rhubarb.)
2. In a medium bowl, mix together topping.
3. Put ¼ of crumble mixture into apple mixture.
4. When fruit mixture is ready, pour into a greased baking dish.
5. Spread rest of crumble topping on top of fruit mixture.
6. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
-4 apples and 2 cups black berries
-3 apples, 1 cup black berries, and 6 rhubarb**
** If using mixed fruit, skip #3 and spread all of crumble mixture on top of fruit mixture.